Rocking Circle P

Rocking Circle P is my small farm in Northeastern rural Utah. We're a small fruit, nut and fiber farm.

Friday, March 21, 2008

SPRING IS HERE!

You can always tell when Spring hits the Uintah Basin.....it's windy. Yep, our Spring afternoon winds have started, and I'm glad the snow is almost gone, and hope the mud stays to a minimum. This was a long snowy Winter and I welcome a change.
What I have been working on, well first I found my camera cord so now I can post pictures.


This is the scarf that I have been working on. It's mostly done. A few strings to weave in and it's complete. I don't care to put up with the fringe, so I didn't put any on it. To be honest, I used the yarn as warp for a scarf, and if you have had any experience weaving.....well it was a bad choice. So I knitted the scarf instead, but have tons of strings to weave in. It's for me and was just an experiment on weaving. I hope to try and use it as weft on my loom and still have a woven scarf out of it. Maybe I'll use silk for the warp or some of my own mohair dyed a deep purple as warp. Here's the picture of the knitted scarf.




Next, I've been working on my Kromski Rigid Heddle Loom and my first woven cloth. I'm excited to be weaving, but I have a long way to go. This was a great first experience and I learned tons of stuff. There is not a Weaving Guild locally, so most of my learning is from books, and a few members of my spinning guild, and some groups that I belong to. You can see, I've pleased the Gods, because there is a flaw all the way through it. When sleying the heddle, one slot was missed. Big Opps!






Last, item that I have been concentrating on is spinning Freckles fiber. Freckles is an Alpaca, and the fiber is my sisters, who purchased it from a vendor at Stitches Midwest. I wanted to have it completed for her by her birthday in April. I've been spinning it on a wheel and spindle. I'm afraid it is a bit finer or larger wpi on the spindle. Is that normal?






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home